Monday 5 July 2010

Kelly: Stopping smoking during pregnancy and staying stopped after baby is born.

Kelly – 21 weeks pregnant on:
Stopping smoking during pregnancy and staying stopped after baby is born.

Kelly said: “Like most people, if you’re on 100 a week you’re addicted and I’m lucky really.
Maybe I’ve just got will power or whatever, but I just stopped like that. But then I find it hard to keep off it once I’ve had the baby, because its like when I’m pregnant its like ‘oh well I don’t want to hurt the baby’ and I wouldn’t smoke in my house around my child cause I don’t want him to see me smoking cause then he’ll think its right. Erm, so I’ll go outside if I really want one but it does become rarer.”


Midwife Hull said: "Staying stopped after you’ve had your baby can sometimes be harder than when you are pregnant. Feeling tired and stressed is usually the time you would reach for the cigarettes. Try going outside for a bit of fresh air or calling someone when you feel stressed. Putting baby in the pram and walk round the block or pop baby in their cot and have 5 minutes time out.
The smoke free family’s advisers can offer a personalised plan which will give you ideas to cope better and help to tide you over the hard parts.
You should be feeling fitter and more healthier since stopping this will really help you when looking after your new baby imagine getting a chest infection and having to get up to your new baby.!
As new parents you are your children’s role models, not smoking is one of the best ways to be good model."

You can contact Midwife Hull confidentially on facebook at http://tiny.cc/farhl

No comments:

Post a Comment